Thursday, September 26, 2013

Day 7 - Just An Update

I probably wrote over 3000 words today.  None of it fiction. (Well maybe a little.) It was mostly blogging.

I started noodling on the series about characters and their wealth and power, and suddenly I had the bit in my teeth. I decided to just keep going.  (I should have done more, actually, but I some errands and also someone on the internet didn't understand what I meant by a "Pro" font.)

I hope this will be as interesting to you as it is to me, but I have to pin more of it down before I know how the first post should go.

This subject actually hits close to home for me for two reasons.

One is creative: This gets into the meat of my subject matter, and why I write. (Which I'll talk about tomorrow.)

The other is my alternate life dream:
You know how little kids want to grow up to be cowboys and ballerinas?  At one time I wanted to grow up to be a professor of popular culture.

This was before I found out that it's not really about geeking out about movies, books and comic books and stuff -- most of it is studying and talking about Foucault and Derrida and Stanley Fish and New Criticism. (Although I actually kinda liked Fish, but only in popular theory, undergraduate kind of way.)

Literary scholars don't get to talk about the story at all.  You just get to talk about how other people talk about the story -- and even then, maybe not how they talk about a particular story, just how they talk about stories in general.

So maybe the truth is that I didn't want to grow up to be a literary scholar: I wanted to grow up to be a blogger!

Anyway, tomorrow I'll post about how writing about the character traits of wealth and power hit a kind of hot button with me.

After that, well, there could be 6-10 posts on the matter, talking about each of those qualities of Wealth, Jackassery, and Dominance, with different characters of mine, and with great characters in film and literature.  I don't know yet how I will organize them or take breaks between the posts.

See you in the funny papers.

No comments: