Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday Update

As you may have noticed, I have not be reporting my progress for ROW80 lately. Most of the updates go like this:

"Well, I changed my mind about whether I'm counting words, or projects or minutes, but it doesn't matter because I forgot to count them anyway.  I did do stuff. I think."

I've decided that this is a hint.  Goals right now are a distraction.  ROW80 itself is a distraction.  The blog is a distraction.  Uncertainty is a distraction, not to mention The News, which is super distracting.  Everything seems to be a distraction right now. 

I'm like a Golden Retriever trying to do calculus homework while squirrels cavort everywhere all around me.  Except that the distractions aren't fun. Some of them are pretty horrible, but that just makes them more distracting.

But, as I said, my goals themselves seem to have become a distraction, so....

My one and only goal right now is to change my life.


And to do that, I think I need to unplug even further.  That's why I announced on Thursday that I'm going on a "blog vacation" and posting only episodes of the serial and Sunday updates until January 1.

What am I going to do on January 1?  To be honest, I don't know.  I expect to start up blogging as before, but I might decide I need a little more time.  Or I might have a whole new plan.  (I'll certainly have an idea by the December 30 update post.)

What am I going to do while unplugged?


Well, I never really did finish my "GTD Implementation" -- I got bogged down in Important Things With Deadlines and Follow Up Kerfuffle Involving Phone Trees and Musak (also known as, "Getting all my health stuff done before I lose my insurance" and "What the heck am I going to do with this single share certificate of International Paper for which they keep sending me uncashable $1 dividend checks?")....

So first I'm going to lock myself in the basement and double-down on implementing that GTD.

I'm also going to read, draw and write with no goals in mind.

I've also started reviewing the 1000+ plus posts I've already posted on this blog.  I am looking to collect the best of them for a book.  And I figure this will also give me a chance to look at what I've done well with this blog and what I may want to do in future.

One thing I'm considering for when I come back is not doing ROW80 for the first quarter of 2013.  Instead, I'll probably just go cheer on other participants.

In the meantime, things are going to get a little tougher for Jackie in Test of Freedom this week. And I'll talk to you next Sunday about how everything else is going.

See you in the funny papers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you sound like me. I totally understand how you feel. I hope your blog vacation proves to be productive and MUCH less distracting. Good luck :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

It makes a lot of sense to me that you'd address the stuff with deadlines first--health always comes first!

I'm going to take a week-ish off for Christmas and see that most folks tend to around the holidays (definitely the industry-related posters do). It's good for us to take breaks! Hope you get stuff accomplished--a variety of different things.

The Daring Novelist said...

Thanks, Ryan and Elizabeth!