Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Misplaced Hero eBook is UP!

It took me longer than I thought, but...

The Case of the Misplaced Hero is now live on Smashwords, and should be live on Amazon by the time you read this.

It will take a few weeks for it to trickle through to all the other vendors, though some may get it as soon as this weekend.

I'll update the intro page with all the purchase links when I get them.

Here are the short and long blurbs:

Short:

Novella, originally written as a blog serial. When Alex, an idle college student, tries to rescue his drunken professor from drowning, he finds himself in another world, which resembles old adventure tales and silent movie serials. Now Alex must rescue his professor from more than muddy water.

Long:

The Case of the Misplaced Hero was originally written as a twice-a-week serial for the Daring Novelist blog.  Here is the whole story collected into one novella-length volume -- 42 episodes, plus the teaser episode that leads into the next story.

When Alex was a child his eccentric aunt gave him a ring and told him that one day he should go jump in a lake.  He never knew what to make of that, and never tried doing it, until one day at college, he tries to rescue his drunken professor from falling in a river.  They both plunge in... and come up in a very different river, in a land that reminds Alex very much of the stories his aunt used to tell: a world like old adventure books and silent movie serials.  It's a dream come true, except that his drunken old professor gets himself lost and arrested.  Alex must find and rescue him, and return him home, before the old fool gets shot as a spy.

* * *

It's novella length -- about 32k words or 100 pages.  It's $2.99, but if you don't want to pay that much, you can always read it online here, starting with Episode 1.

I'm sorry to say that I simply did not have time to create two workflows for this -- so I had to go with Word for my uploads to both platforms, because that's all $%@# Smashwords will accept. It would have gone much faster if my source file could be HTML, and I could just create an epub and a mobi for upload.  I'm told Smashwords will allow uploads of epubs Any Day Now.

In the meantime, I've got to get on to the next project: Test of Freedom.

See you in the funny papers.

No comments: