Wednesday, February 29, 2012

ROW80 Update -- And a Little Carol Burnett

Progress report for February 29:

Not good for this segment of the week. The assault on my free time by crazy issues continues. But I'm still keeping a hand in. Next week is Spring Break already. I was hoping to have this freaking book done by the end of that, but I guess I won't. Bleh.

Sunday Day 56 - 0 minutes. Inauspicious start to the week. Still a little dopey and migraine-y. But I did have an active day (in which I managed to do nearly nothing). I do have a vague memory of sitting down to work and thinking about a particular Carol Burnett Show movie parody which sent me to YouTube.... and I came up a couple of hours later, chuckling and feeling silly.

Monday Day 57 - 35 minutes. So, after I updated Sunday night, I thought "Gee, I've actually been doing pretty well on the mini writing sprints. No matter how late it is, you ought to do just 15 or 20 minutes before bed. After all you don't have to get up tomorr.... oh shit."

I did have to get up Monday morning, and much earlier than usual. I had to give a printing presentation to a digital illustration class. So today was sleep deprived and busy. But I did manage to do a couple of good (albeit short) sessions today. A lot of ROW80-ers do "writing sprints" and they really are a miracle when nothing is is happening. Plus for me, I find that the prep work is really coming in handy for this.

Tuesday Day 58 - 39 minutes. I decided to work on a short story today. I spent about 20 minutes, hacking in the meat of a flash story. Not sure how long it is because it's still on my netbook. However I think it's going to be a great first Max Speckler story. It might be a little too light weight for the major markets, but we'll have to see when it's done.

In the meantime, I don't know if I'm cooking a cold, or if it's allergies or just my usual nonallergic sinusitis kicking in, but my sinuses have been swelling closed on me this afternoon, which affects my inner ear, which in turn leaves me staggering around like a drunken sailor.

Which reminds me of this silly video....


I had to share this sketch from the Carol Burnett Show with you folks out there. I sometimes feel this is how our writing process must feel for our characters....



I'm feeling pretty tired, in the meantime, so I'm going to go to bed and maybe read a little. I might do fiction rather than art in the next couple of days (or a mix) depending on how I feel.

See you in the funny papers.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your description of Sunday is really funny - "But I did have an active day (in which I managed to do nearly nothing)." is a line that seems to fit too many days.

Good luck the rest of the week and I hope you feel better!

KM Huber said...

I always check out your blog on the ROW80 linkytool, although have been unable to post a comment, some soret of blogger-wordpress issue. Regardless of how your weeks progress, there is enough irony in your posts to inspire. Thanks for that.
Karen

The Daring Novelist said...

Travis: yes, it's funny how many days are like that....

Karen: thanks! Irony is our greatest tool as fiction writers. I'm glad it finds it's way into my blog.