Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Crash and Burn

Too tired to post intelligently today. (Don't get off work until 8pm on Mon/Wed most of the time.) I will continue my discussions of naughty language in entertainment tomorrow.

I will talk about some examples of effective high-volume use of expletives tomorrow, one of which is The Big Lebowski. I was looking for a clip of my favorite scene from that movie (a great illustration of differing mores - when "The Stranger" meets "The Dude") but that particular scene is just not on the internet that I can find. (I'll also talk about some places where going for the R-rating failed, imho.)

In the course of my search I discovered a few things. First, that in The Big Lebowski, they use the f-word 260 times. Second, that you can find information about ANYTHING on Wikipedia. Including a list of the films that use the f-word most frequently - in spreadsheet form, including total number of uses and the number of uses per minute. (Pulp Fiction comes in at 265, but since it's a longer film, it has lower "density of use.")

God I love the internet.

3 comments:

Summer Ross said...

How interesting....I didn't know you could find that out via Wikipedia. thanks for posting.

The Daring Novelist said...

Wikipedia is an amazing resource. Full of inaccuracies, but dang, you can find everything there.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Wikipedia amazes me! I could kill a whole day just surfing around on their sites. :)

Hope you had a chance to rest up!